Following our successful accreditation as a Safer School approximately seven years ago, our school continues to work on this initiative. The Safer Schools initiative encompasses both school security and personal safety, and with the support of West Mercia Police and Shropshire Council, we regularly review our school. The essential elements of the Safer Schools initiative are as follows:
- Implement basic security measures applicable at all schools i.e. property marking and visitor passes etc.
- Consider pro-active security/safety measures for the site/building and/or protecting assets.
- Establish a procedure for recording incidents i.e. anti-social behaviour, vandalism etc. Any recorded information can then be analysed. In addition, the same recording procedure can be used for surveying a problem.
- If there are any projects to be undertaken following the Group’s work, they are prioritised. Following the implementation of a project, the success of it is reviewed.
- Education of pupils as per the ‘Safer School’ pack of equivalent.